3 column narrow

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Today Not Tomorrow

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,  for tomorrow will worry about its own things.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."    Matthew 6:33-34

My grand daughters and I watched "Annie" together- the show about the upbeat little red haired girl in the orphanage who sings that great song, "Tomorrow."  We happily sang the words and reveled in the thought that, for Annie, she "could bet her bottom dollar that the sun would come out tomorrow."  We'd seen it before and knew all about the ending.

I love musicals and "Annie" is at the top of my list!  But, here's another thought about tomorrow.

When I was a child about Annie's age, I thought and acted like a child.  My mother would try to get me to grow up and show signs of maturing into a somewhat competent young adult.  So, she would say things like, "Do it now.  Do not procrastinate.  Hang up your clothes when you take them off!"  Generally her words ended with "Do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today."  Like all dutiful daughters, I tried to comply....until the next day when I was in a hurry to "play outside" and her words dropped from my ears along with my discarded school outfits lying on the floor.

Mom did not give up.  She stood in the front door and called me in from the important things that I was doing with my friends.  I'd stare at her in consternation as she pointed upstairs and said, "The clothes on the floor in your room.  Right now!"  Hurrying down the second story hallway, I could hear her gentle but firm words, "Betsy, how many times do I have to tell you that behaviors today result in habits tomorrow?"

Tomorrow, tomorrow," bet your bottom dollar she was right.  You can ask Charlie.  One fault I do not have today is abandoning clothes on the floor or throwing them over chairs.  Our closet actually looks pretty neat.  His mother must have said the same thing to him, "Don't put off until tomorrow..."

So what's my point?  Well, Jesus said this about spiritual things.  He said, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness," and then go out and play.  Only, our play will probably become something pretty constructive in the lives of others because He is directing us.  Don't put off until tomorrow sitting ourselves down in our favorite quiet time chair and reading the Word of God.  Let this behavior result in a daily habit. One day God will look at the spiritual closet of our souls.  Maybe "Tomorrow!"
           Tomorrow
Tomorrow he promised his conscience,
Tomorrow I mean to believe.
Tomorrow I"ll live as I ought to;
Tomorrow my Savior receive.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow
Thus day after day it went on.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow
Till youth like a vision had gone.

Till age in its passion had written
The message of fate on his brow,
And forth from the shadows of death
Came that pitiful syllable, now."

by M.E. Harding - a blind lady who had spiritual eyes that could see.

No comments:

Post a Comment